British textile designer William Morris after claimed, “If you want a golden rule that will suit everything, this is it: Have almost nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be stunning.” For us, Good Wooden Nashville ticks both of those packing containers. A boutique, one-halt-woodshop established by Dave Puncochar in 2012, Good Wooden Nashville’s specialty is crafting and offering gorgeous, functional household furniture with a tale — assertion parts that inspire discussion.
The next you phase inside the furnishings maker’s 13,000-sq.-foot showroom and lumber retail store, you cannot support but be awed by the quantity of spectacular, a person-of-a-kind parts. From tables and flooring to accent partitions and sliding barn doorways, Good Wooden Nashville’s showroom contains examples of all sorts of projects. It also serves as a hub for other artisans to sell their work. In actuality, the room is ideal described as a gallery for artists — both at Superior Wooden Nashville and over and above. While about 90% of the parts you see are designed in-house, the remaining 10% of showroom parts are made by outside makers.
As you stroll by means of the showroom, chances are you are going to be approached by one particular of Superior Wooden Nashville’s cheerful and eager-to-aid workers. Really don’t be shy when it will come to asking questions about any of the parts you’re admiring (belief us — you are certain to have lots of issues) since the backstories of how they came to be are usually incredible.
Each individual piece of furniture is crafted from ethically sourced supplies found generally all over Nashville. Even though Superior Wooden Nashville is not a tree elimination organization, Dave usually finds the best, most exceptional wooden by means of cell phone calls from folks who want him to take a search at a close by tree. It is these journeys that make the home furnishings extra special. This plan of bringing an aged log or tree sitting in someone’s lawn and transforming it into a wonderful, functional piece of furnishings influenced Fantastic Wooden Nashville’s “root to table” initiative — amazing tables established from are living edge slabs of wood.
For case in point, you may see items produced from Osage orange wooden scattered all over the showroom. Be positive to spend special interest to these, as their story hits near to residence for both equally Fantastic Wooden Nashville staff members and locals. The wooden arrives from a tree that fell two houses down from 5 Factors in East Nashville through the March 2020 tornado.
If you appear intently at these Osage orange parts, you will probable see thick black lines jogging through the center of them. Dave thinks these have been roots increasing as a result of the middle of the tree as they attempted to find daylight. In addition, you will notice the distinctive orange-yellow color of the wood, which normally leads to gold-like sawdust fluttering about as the tables are crafted in Great Wood Nashville’s workshop.
You’ll probably see numerous home furniture pieces manufactured from this Osage orange tree as you proceed through the showroom, but if you stroll downstairs to the lumber keep, you will discover uncooked pieces of the identical wood waiting around to be custom-made. As you proceed via the decreased level, you’ll find even a lot more sorts of wooden with intriguing histories — from poplar and maple to sycamore, oak, and much more. Yet again, just ask a Superior Wood Nashville crew member, as they’re nicely-versed in the backstory and origin of most of the lumber they sell.
It is risk-free to say Superior Wood Nashville is a area treasure offering residents of Music Town and past with treasures of their very own. Regardless of whether you are in want of custom floors, partitions, countertops, or a table, Great Wooden Nashville can present you with a thing incredible that all of your household company will want to listen to about.
Good Wood Nashville is located at 1307 Dickerson Pike, Nashville, TN 37207. To understand additional, check out goodwoodnashville.com or call (615) 454-3817.
This write-up is sponsored by Good Wooden Nashville. All pictures by Liza Graves.